An industry moving away from fee-for service needs physicians committed to the change.
For many years, physician behavior has been oriented to maximizing patient visits and procedures.
Healthcare Finance quotes Dr. Debbie Zimmerman, chief medical officer at Lumeris:
Where we find the heaviest lift in any institution is changing the way physicians practice. They’re in that fee-for-service world, based around productivity, seeing 25 patients a day. When you’re practicing that way, the reality is you’re referring people to specialists. There’s no one person who’s the quarterback. That is really key
Several factors are required for success:
- Significant percentage of the practice must be value-based
- The contract between payer and provider organization must provide for balanced cost and quality performance
- Availability of data across the care continuum
- Metrics must be clear and measurable
- High performers must be rewarded
Learn what Dr. Zimmerman has learned from 28 years of experience on both the payer and provider sides in Healthcare Finance.